#16 etile

etile

Wise Mr. Moogie

• NuneWorld Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE(Eraserhead @ Mar 6 2008, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Puscifer is actually a project by Tool's singer, Maynard James Keenan. I'm surprised so many people know about Puscifer, I don't think Maynard even made an album for the Puscifer thing yet.

*he nodded*
That's why I mentioned Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Puscifer all in the same post. They're all linked together by Maynard. I don't know if Puscifer had made a proper album yet. Rev 22:20 was on the Underworld soundtrack, though.

#17 Eraserhead

Eraserhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE(etile @ Mar 7 2008, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*he nodded*
That's why I mentioned Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Puscifer all in the same post. They're all linked together by Maynard. I don't know if Puscifer had made a proper album yet. Rev 22:20 was on the Underworld soundtrack, though.

I meant to add "for those who don't know" at the beginning of sentence. Damn these typos.>_<

I'm on Project Playlist right now listening to "Momma Sed" by Puscifer. I am amazed at the low pitch Maynard sings in this song. If you listen to the beginning of the song "The Pot", which he sings with Tool, you can hear Maynard singing at a very high pitch, he's got a pretty incredible vocal range there. He also has the uncanny ability to hold notes very long with his voice, in the song "The Grudge", which he sings with Tool as well, he actually screams for thirty seconds straight. I don't know how manages to breathe after that! And that's not recording magic either, he'll do the same things in live performances.

#18 Eraserhead

Eraserhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

Sorry for all the double posts here. (I feel like the only one posting here)

I've uploaded a song I made myself, "Neon Ocean in Twilight". I made this on my computer using some unbelievably crappy samples(something that emulates other instruments). I made the best of it though, I made some of the samples sound better (in my mind,) by making the stereo-pan rapidly jump from left to right (from one ear to other), this makes a sort of a spacey tremolo effect, if you can understand that.

Anyways, I'm using better samples now, so I should have some better stuff in the future. If I can get out of this composer's block, that is. In the meanwhile, have a listen and tell me what you think. I don't get much feedback, so any kind is appreciated.

#19 etile

etile

Wise Mr. Moogie

• NuneWorld Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:02 AM

I liked the song! I very much liked the first minute of it, and could very well imagine listening to it stretched out over 3 minutes. The last minute of your song sounded like an aquatic Christmas, if that makes any sense. It wasn't the type of thing I'd listen to for kicks, but I still thought it was good.

I can talk more about my impressions, if you want. But just so you know, you won't get anything too technical from me. Just things like 'This felt like' and 'I really liked' etc.

Also, yeah, not many people are coming to this thread. You should get your sister in on this. And I need to keep pressuring Jess to come, as well.

#20 Eraserhead

Eraserhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE(etile @ Mar 11 2008, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I liked the song! I very much liked the first minute of it, and could very well imagine listening to it stretched out over 3 minutes. The last minute of your song sounded like an aquatic Christmas, if that makes any sense. It wasn't the type of thing I'd listen to for kicks, but I still thought it was good.

I can talk more about my impressions, if you want. But just so you know, you won't get anything too technical from me. Just things like 'This felt like' and 'I really liked' etc.

Also, yeah, not many people are coming to this thread. You should get your sister in on this. And I need to keep pressuring Jess to come, as well.

Thanks for commenting my song, I appreciate it. But could you try to be objective? I don't want to put you on the spot, but just try to say something you didn't like about it so I can try to figure out what I should improve on with that particular style.

And I contacted Katie and told her she to post a link to her playlist. And I say "link" because she already has a pretty big Project Playlist playlist embedded on her Myspace page.

And "aquatic Christmas"? I'm afraid you lost me at Christmas. I get the aquatic part, with the spacey sort of tremolo effects going and everything. But I just don't get the Christmas part. Could you explain? Haha

Oh I should also mention you listen to song on stereo, it won't sound right on mono. And I have no idea how it would sound on surround sound.

#21 Zelda Princess

Zelda Princess

Jess

• RP Forum Mod's
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

I feel so mutant in my musical taste at times: I know a lot about bands 99% of people haven't heard of and then little of the stuff everybody's heard, such as Tool (love APC but haven't gotten to Tool yet?). I got through all your music, Armando, and I like all of it. "Give Me More" by Apartment 26 isn't working and I couldn't find an mp3 online to fix it, by the way. I'll get through yours soon, Chazz.

Anyway, I put a whopping 20 tracks onto my playlist, if anyone's interested. http://www.playlist.com/node/31742780

A genre I really like in music is called "euro/electroclash", which wikipedia describes as "a style of music that combines the 1980s electropop/New Wave/Italo disco sound by means of synthesizers and drum machines". Ladytron, The Knife, Crystal Castles, Chicks on Speed, CSS, and Tracy + The Plastics are some good representatives... I also love alternate rock, house, indie and the like... But basically, I'd do well in clubs, haha...

#22 Eraserhead

Eraserhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Zelda Princess @ Apr 24 2008, 04:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel so mutant in my musical taste at times: I know a lot about bands 99% of people haven't heard of and then little of the stuff everybody's heard, such as Tool (love APC but haven't gotten to Tool yet?). I got through all your music, Armando, and I like all of it. "Give Me More" by Apartment 26 isn't working and I couldn't find an mp3 online to fix it, by the way. I'll get through yours soon, Chazz.

Anyway, I put a whopping 20 tracks onto my playlist, if anyone's interested. http://www.playlist.com/node/31742780

A genre I really like in music is called "euro/electroclash", which wikipedia describes as "a style of music that combines the 1980s electropop/New Wave/Italo disco sound by means of synthesizers and drum machines". Ladytron, The Knife, Crystal Castles, Chicks on Speed, CSS, and Tracy + The Plastics are some good representatives... I also love alternate rock, house, indie and the like... But basically, I'd do well in clubs, haha...

I'll have to refine my playlists a little more, I listen to so much music and my tastes are wide open (I don't much care for labeling stuff with genre names either), I just can't settle on a bunch of similar songs and say "that's me, that's what I listen to" and it's typical for me to change my preferences often.
You may notice I have two playlists, the reason being is that I know most people will not like some of the stuff I like, some of it is "out there", you know? So I'm making two lists, one for the more accessible songs and another playlist for when you're feeling adventurous. I haven't got these fully formed yet.

Had a run-through your list, the highlights for me were Tourniquet, Six-Seven Times, Beauty*2, Momma Was an Opium Smoker, Fibre De Verre, Werewolf, The Recluse, Needles and Vanishing.
My favorite would have to be "Tourniquet", it's a nice mish-mash of various classical string instruments and electronic music and electronic beats. The singing is very hypnotic and kind of dark, it compliments the music perfectly.
Overall, I have to say some nice choices, I've found your playlist the most enjoyable so far.

Edit: Okay, I refined my lists a bit. Ten songs each for both lists. It still doesn't show the wide variety of my tastes but it's okay I guess. Oh well.

#23 iMatt

iMatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:25 AM

Just put up a playlist which pretty much highlights everything I listen to. I start out with Indie rock, one amazing hip hop song (do yourself a favor and don't confuzzle it with mainstream rap, so give it a listen), flip over into some prog metal, then into prog rock.

Which is pretty much me in a nutshell, musically at least. If I make an addition it will be of more Dream Theater, my favourite band evar.

#24 Eraserhead

Eraserhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE(iMatt @ Apr 24 2008, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just put up a playlist which pretty much highlights everything I listen to. I start out with Indie rock, one amazing hip hop song (do yourself a favor and don't confuzzle it with mainstream rap, so give it a listen), flip over into some prog metal, then into prog rock.

Which is pretty much me in a nutshell, musically at least. If I make an addition it will be of more Dream Theater, my favourite band evar.

Hey iMatt I just had a go at your playlist, to be honest I didn't like most of it. I hate prog-metal, most indie-rock bores me and I gave your hip-hop song a try and it didn't work for me.
I guess I'll focus on what I liked:
  • "Sinusoid" was an okay song, good musicianship but inane, it lacks tension and as such it just sort of floats along without feeling significant.
  • I listened to "Anesthetize" a long time ago and I think it's a great piece of music, perhaps overly long but that's okay given Porcupine Tree's brilliance.
  • And the Radiohead songs are great, one my favorite bands. I notice all the songs you have on there are from their recent album, if you hadn't heard their other's I would recommend OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesia and Hail to the Thief; most certainly OK Computer and Kid A for sure.

#25 iMatt

iMatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:24 AM

Lol, prog's hit and miss at best with most people, and I've got most of Radiohead's stuff.

#26 Eraserhead

Eraserhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE(iMatt @ Apr 26 2008, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol, prog's hit and miss at best with most people, and I've got most of Radiohead's stuff.

I actually like a lot of prog, I got some King Crimson and Zappa on my playlist, it's prog-metal I don't like.

#27 iMatt

iMatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:21 PM

That's actually what I meant, but that statement refers to a lot of people still.

#28 Max

Max

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:55 PM

I'm halfway though clobbering together one now, if anyone bothers to look at it, thanks happy.gif

if this service ever became particularly big, it would be taken offline for sure tongue.gif

#29 Zelda Princess

Zelda Princess

Jess

• RP Forum Mod's
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:33 AM

iMax, I loved Alice by GoodBooks. Late of the Pier, Buzzcocks, Suede, Sky Larkin, White Rose Movement... pretty much all of your playlist is on my list to download. You have great taste in music.

#30 BreakTheReflection

BreakTheReflection

Sylvia Plath

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:03 PM

I started a playlist. I couldn't find alot of my favorite songs though sad.gif Oh well...this will have to do.

(I'll be looking through the other playlists soon)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users