72 replies to this topic

#16 Satone

Satone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:12 AM

So Mike, you believe in reincarnation, but is there an extent to that? Do you believe that you reincarnate infinitely, once, or some random number of reincarnations before you're done (much like a cat has "nine lives")? I think it's interesting because I've never spoken with someone that believed in reincarnation, or did not voice their truth about it.

#17 Guest_etile_*

Guest_etile_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:19 AM

True, same here. Personally, if I believed in reincarnation, it would either be an infinite cycle, or it would go until you attained nirvana, and became one with the universe and whatnot

#18 Mike!

Mike!

Somebody save me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(Satone @ Oct 20 2005, 01:12 AM) View Post

So Mike, you believe in reincarnation, but is there an extent to that? Do you believe that you reincarnate infinitely, once, or some random number of reincarnations before you're done (much like a cat has "nine lives")? I think it's interesting because I've never spoken with someone that believed in reincarnation, or did not voice their truth about it.

Well I think it keeps going on and on and on until you have completed your roll in life and then are let into heaven, I no... stupid

#19 BreakTheReflection

BreakTheReflection

Sylvia Plath

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(Mike! @ Oct 20 2005, 12:07 PM) View Post

Well I think it keeps going on and on and on until you have completed your roll in life and then are let into heaven, I no... stupid

Not stupid...the idea of Heaven seems cool to me, but I'm afraid I'll get tired of being there...if that makes any sense...

#20 Zelda Princess

Zelda Princess

Jess

• RP Forum Mod's
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE(BreakTheReflection @ Oct 20 2005, 10:44 AM) View Post

Not stupid...the idea of Heaven seems cool to me, but I'm afraid I'll get tired of being there...if that makes any sense...

Yeah, that made sense..

I believe in an afterlife, and what I've said a few times before is that I believe this earth is but for one reason: making a choice with our own freewill. I am a Christian and I believe there is a heaven and hell..

Forever is so hard to imagine.. but if you think of it as something like love, if you've ever experienced love.. it never gets old, if it's with the right person. If you can imagine being able to go anywhere.. I don't know, it's so hard to believe but I very much do.

#21 dragonmatt5

dragonmatt5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:08 AM

i think that the christian religion is too simplified while remaining vague on the topic of an afterlife for there to be much truth in the matter. i do belive in reincarnation of a sort to. I believe that there exist an infinet amount of "realms"(for lack of a better word) that we can go to after our soul leaves our body. The obvious 2 well known ones being a "heaven" and a "hell". I also believe that our souls do develope as they exist in this (or another) world and body and how strong our souls are determines how many options we have after we die and how far from this realm we could travel before our soul tires and needs a rest (by taking form in a body on a planet in a different realm). I feel this is a more believable afterlife than being judged by a supreme higher up because it would also explain ghost (very weak souls or ones who didnt want to leave and can't yet take a body) but the choice is yours to make.

#22 Guest_etile_*

Guest_etile_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:45 AM

*blinks*
The Christian version doesn't seem that vague to me. If you're soul is awesome, you get to bath in the Glory of god forever. If you've sinned beyond repair, you get hell. If you're Catholic, you get a bonus level, purgatory.

Also, it's usually the simplest theories which are proven true.

Your theory about reincarnation does sound nifty, but I'd like to point out one thing. You say you prefer it because it's 'more believable afterlife than being judged by a supreme higher up.' But then in your theory, who judges what level you get to go to? It would have to be one of three choices, I think:

1. Your soul is so damn cool, it's picks itself

2. Someone tosses you in, maybe god

But, even if you pick 1, it still doesn't explain who created these infinite realms. Unless you wanna say they exist just because, in which case you'd be some sort of atheist/reincarnation guy. But that would be tricky, since you still would believe in souls, pretty much.. *

*Note: I chose to ramble all this ^, not because I'm bagging on you or think you're silly, but because the theory got me thinking, and seems interesting.

#23 Satone

Satone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:44 PM

I like the little "bonus level" touch, etile.

Forever only seems like a bit much because we're here on this earth for all of, for most people, 70 - 90 years. It is implausible to think of forever simply because humans are used to having set periods of time in their life. Plain and simple: nothing lasts forever.

However, Jess brings up a good point: love may last forever. I do believe in this, and although I don't think about anything further than a few years down the road, I do believe that the love I have will last forever. I refer to my girlfriend and family, though most people may refer to family members, boy/girlfriends, husbands or wives, or even their closest friends. Sometimes we believe that the "love" we have for others will last forever without even thinking about it. We're just incapable of swallowing such a big pill.

Now, dragon, your theory is creative, but much like etile implies, it is a little vague in itself. I understand what you mean by the Christian religion is a little vague (and let me know if I'm wrong), but they don't explain all of Heaven or Hell. They simply tell you that Heaven is pure gold, and Hell is pretty much a land of slavery for all of eternity. Once more, if I'm wrong about that, someone let me know. I've never read all the way through the Bible, so I wouldn't exactly be able to quote it.

The idea that your soul holds governing power over itself reflects that we have always and will always have free will. Many would argue that statement, probably with something like number two of etile's choices. That would be considered and objection to your free will, and thus consists of a belief of a higher being. You've placed restrictions on the idea of the soul by saying that it may get "tired" and have to inhabit another concrete form. But what are the souls searching for? I don't think anyone wanders around aimlessly for eternity. Your theory, in my humble opinion (and this is not some sort of me bashing you), is a little strange because it is a little vague in itself. I'm trying to understand a great deal of it without criticizing it too much, and completely disbelieving it.

#24 Jean

Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:18 PM

Well,I myself believe in reincarnation....even if others dont i do,I also believe in the thought of going to heaven because staying floating around some area..spooking everyone lese isnt right...

#25 Guest_etile_*

Guest_etile_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:18 PM

Thanks, Satone ^^

*random thought of the day, only read if you have a lot of spare time*

You know, about the whole forever and love thing:

I was going to say something, then I realized, 'Well, maybe I shouldn't, love can be a touchy subject for some, because they believe in it so.' Then I found it funny that I was more hesitant with love than with god. So, I suppose one could say that in a way love is the new god, in that some folk believe in its superiority to all of us. Then, I started thinking more, and realized that there are so many holes in my argument, I couldn't use it to hold up bricks. THEN I remembered something I always like to muse upon: That even lies have value, even lies can reveal truths, lead you to a better path. This made me feel better about the above crappy argument.

Anyways, I forgot what I was originally going to say.. prolly something about how love may not forever. But, I would have dressed it up all fancy-like, perhaps saying, 'If some folk can believe or can't believe in god, while others can/can't believe in love, what makes one more eternal or true than the other?'

Then I realized that I couldn't think straight, as evident by how badly argued my points were, which led to me remembering that I just finished my midterm, was running on 4 hours of sleep, to top off an already sleep deprived week, and how I have an unstarted problem set due in less than 5 hours. Then my mind went all crazy, as I started thinking about all that, while trying to reword my original thoughts, while I thought about the topic in general, wanting to go home for the weekend and sleep, thinking about having a pondering forum, and maybe some sort of advice thread, wanting to talk to Jess, wondering how my midterms went, and trying to figure out everything in general. Then I...

[edit]
...pressed the 'Add Reply' button. Now, aren't you glad you read all this?

#26 BreakTheReflection

BreakTheReflection

Sylvia Plath

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:28 PM

I'm glad I read it...you have good ramblings...haha I'm not too good with my own ramblings...I just made this topic to see other people's opinions and thoughts about life after death. I haven't formed much of an opinion myself...I don't have a certain idea of how things could be...I think too much about all this... I guess we'll know the truth when we're dead someday though...

#27 Satone

Satone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:50 PM

This is simply a comment on your ramblings, etile...

Your "rambling" argument is about how love is the new God, but we're talking about reincarnation/Heaven/etc. I don't think that people believe that love is the new God, but perhaps a basis that sets the basis for enduring eternity. I know what you're trying to say, but I forgot exactly what I was going to point out. I'm sitting here watching four little children dance to Radio @ AOL and it is playing that song that the Fairy Godmother sings in Cinderella...very odd, and easy to lose track of one's thoughts amongst hectic, dancing children.

Hmm... I think love is more or less the Heaven. Hell, I don't know. Much like you, I'm rambling with no real point. I'm surprised my sentences are even making sense right now.

Um, if they're not, someone tell me they aren't.

#28 dragonmatt5

dragonmatt5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

i think it is awesome that u guys question both my and other ideas of eternity. It not only shows u aren't sheep going through life but also helps me explain and express my perspective. For instance, etile i hate to cut it down to the simple choice but the answer is number 1, the soul chooses. The soul developes in abody until it dies then it can go where it pleases. However since everything requires energy (even spectral travel, i guess) the soul can only go so far before it's enregy depletes. As for the final destination, that i don't have an answer (or even an idea yet), but im working on it. However i think that the human mind can interpete infinity, if only for an instance (kinda ironic i use time in a reference about endlessness but so what). We all have lost thought for a few seconds and come to seconds or minutes later. I think that during those seconds that to us nothing exist, we glance eternity. well accually i think i am rambling now..

as for heaven being love, hell the absentce of, i don't agree. humans are capable of love without god's presence, and besides isn't all that just traslation?

#29 Satone

Satone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(dragonmatt5 @ Oct 22 2005, 04:25 AM) View Post

as for heaven being love, hell the absentce of, i don't agree. humans are capable of love without god's presence, and besides isn't all that just traslation?

That's not exactly what I meant. I really did lose my point when I started to write that statement, so I needed to say something. I didn't mean that love was Heaven, but more or less a starting point for this infinity that we cannot comprehend. We see love as being infinite for people we really care about and will do anything for. I don't know. I'll read etile's post again later and try to accumulate my point once again.

And I'm glad that you do realize that we're not trying to bash you. It's great to see that you realize we're only trying to interpret everyone else's ideas. Good job, DM.

#30 Zelda Princess

Zelda Princess

Jess

• RP Forum Mod's
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:01 PM

Let's see if I can bring up the original points I wanted to make, which may be difficult, considering it's very easy to get lost in this particular subject..

QUOTE(Satone @ Oct 21 2005, 09:44 AM) View Post

Forever only seems like a bit much because we're here on this earth for all of, for most people, 70 - 90 years. It is implausible to think of forever simply because humans are used to having set periods of time in their life. Plain and simple: nothing lasts forever.

However, Jess brings up a good point: love may last forever. I do believe in this, and although I don't think about anything further than a few years down the road, I do believe that the love I have will last forever. I refer to my girlfriend and family, though most people may refer to family members, boy/girlfriends, husbands or wives, or even their closest friends. Sometimes we believe that the "love" we have for others will last forever without even thinking about it. We're just incapable of swallowing such a big pill.

We are very incapable of swallowing something such as eternity and forever, though in my beliefs the love that we can extend to can be unconditional, and that is a very special kind of love. In my view, we are like small beings that cannot own love, just in a way "borrow" it, if that makes any sense.

None of us can own love and swallow the process in whole, therefore our love would be more different, if there was a head-in-command, a God, that would make sense. We just can't fully comprehend the meaning of love, and to me it seems the most valuable emotion.

What I believe is that God's love is unconditional, and so much bigger than our own. I believe he sent his only son to die for us, and we never even deserved it. None of us do.

Now, dragon, your theory is creative, but much like etile implies, it is a little vague in itself. I understand what you mean by the Christian religion is a little vague (and let me know if I'm wrong), but they don't explain all of Heaven or Hell. They simply tell you that Heaven is pure gold, and Hell is pretty much a land of slavery for all of eternity. Once more, if I'm wrong about that, someone let me know. I've never read all the way through the Bible, so I wouldn't exactly be able to quote it.

The Bible does refer to Heaven and Hell in many ways, even gives visual descriptions. If you'd like, I can look up some verses for you. And Revelations, the last book of the Bible talks entirely about Heaven from the eyes of the Apostle Paul.

The idea that your soul holds governing power over itself reflects that we have always and will always have free will. Many would argue that statement, probably with something like number two of etile's choices. That would be considered and objection to your free will, and thus consists of a belief of a higher being. You've placed restrictions on the idea of the soul by saying that it may get "tired" and have to inhabit another concrete form. But what are the souls searching for? I don't think anyone wanders around aimlessly for eternity. Your theory, in my humble opinion (and this is not some sort of me bashing you), is a little strange because it is a little vague in itself. I'm trying to understand a great deal of it without criticizing it too much, and completely disbelieving it.

I believe we all have free will, and that is self-explanitory. We choose everything we do in this world, for better and for worse. I believe we will always have free will, but if we do go to such a place as Heaven, I believe we won't just say, "I'm tired of this. I would rather be evil. Que evil music, and where can I get a mace?" I think we have free will here on earth to decide which way we want to go. Then boom. We won't want to change our minds. And if we do go to Hell, we won't be able to, for that will be our realm of eternal punishment.

As for all the other arguements and posts, I'll go through those later. For now, I must go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users