#1 thunderleaf

thunderleaf

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:43 PM

Doom 3 Review

The game that everyone's talking about. Well, was talking about. Is it as scary as everyone says? Read the review and you'll find out.

System Requirements:

Although the minimum requirements are quite high, don't expect Doom 3 to run good on even that fast computers. It even lags a bit on my computer, even though it exceeds the minimum system requirements.

Minimum Requirements for D3:

* A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500.
* 384 megabytes of memory.
* Two gigabytes of hard drive space.
* An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.

Recommended:

* 2Ghz CPU or AMD 2500+
* 512 megabytes of memory.
* Two gigabytes of hard drive space.
* Radeon 9700 or an nVidia GeForce4 ti4600 graphics card or better.
* 5.1 surround sound audio

Well... now on to the review itself. I'll give points to Gameplay, Sound, Graphics and Replayability.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAMEPLAY:

For me, it isn't that scary. But that's just because I play it on low volume. tongue.gif
It can get pretty scary, in certain levels/areas. Later in the game, the scares get more predictable, which kind of lowers the gameplay feeling a bit, although I think everyone likes the action better tongue.gif. It has a good storyline, as the storyline's quite realistic. Just as with Half-Life 2, it has a quite good physics engine, which simulate realistic physics. Although it seem that ID (the developer) didn't focus as much on the physics as Valve did with Half-Life 2. That's practically the only flaw in the gameplay. Otherwise the gameplay is... amazing.

SCORE: 8/10

SOUND:

Well, there's not much to say about the sound, but ah well, I'll try.
Just as the gameplay was, the sound is amazing too. It has a great sound system, far better than most games' sound systems. If you have Surround, preferably 7.1, the sound will be so realistic, you actually think "Is someone behind me?" sometimes. Even if you don't have Surround, you'll be surprised over how good the sound is. Although if you put the sound to low quality in the options, well, that's a whole different story. tongue.gif

SCORE: 10/10

GRAPHICS:

Now THIS is the best of the game. I have to play on 640*480 and low quality to get a decent framerate. Even then, the graphics are superb! I was playing Doom 3 on a web café for 5 hours straight, and i spent a hour going around and watching the beautiful graphics. I can't simply describe them with words; you'll have to watch gameplay movies and such to see what i mean.
There's just *some* places where the graphics are a bit shabby (for example blood), although you don't notice this very much. There's only 3 words from me to say about the graphics: oh.. my.. god.

SCORE: 10/10

REPLAYABILITY:

When you complete the game on Veteran difficulty (that equals hard difficulty), you think that's an accomplishment. Well, that is, but the Nightmare difficulty (which equals extremely hard) still remains. In my opinion, you never get tired of it. Imagine you've completed the whole game, what's left? Nothing.. except multiplayer! This is the first game in the Doom series which has multiplayer. In fact, I haven't tried it myself (I'm focused on completing single player first), but I've heard rumours that it's quite good.

SCORE: 8/10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OVERALL SCORE:

Gameplay: 8
Sound: 10
Graphics: 10
Replayability: 8

TOTAL: 36/40.

So this isn't a bad game at all. If you like action, you'd better go buy this. But keep in mind that it requires a powerful computer to run at a high framerate.

SCREENSHOTS:

Zombies.
fat zombies.
What? (notice how good the models look, not realistic but damn good anyways)

#2 Lord

Lord

NuneWorld Admin

• Admin
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:25 AM

Good , really good...

#3 Darth Revan

Darth Revan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:08 PM

i would get it but my comp wouldn't do it justice

#4 Mushroomed

Mushroomed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:37 AM

i enjoyed it, i would reccomend it to anyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users