9 replies to this topic

#1 Naylord

Naylord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 12:45 PM

This years first good PS2 release is here, God of War. Lets see how it fares

Premise: Without giving away too much of the good storyline, you are the antihero Kratos, a man ordered to kill the God of War Ares. Zeus has forbiden gods from fighting each other so they all need you to be thier pawn essentially.

Graphics: Wow, this game pushed the PS2 to the limit. Im glad it didnt explode. The graphics are well modeled and detailed, but thats not the best part at all. This game contains, the must brutal, cruel, sometimes disturbing animations you have ever seen! Every hit is met with an extremly satisfying splash of gore. Every animation and kill is brutal. Enjoy twisting heads until they snap off, its got that! Wanna imapale a hydra on a mast of a ship, sounds fun! This would have good graphics for even gamecube or xbox. Did I mention this game has nudity! Bonus! 10/10

Sound: Its got great voice acting from the cruel Kratos. Squishy sound effects from impaled enemies and epic music to top it off! What more could you ask for! 10/10

Gameplay: Its great action thats for sure. It may be a little button masher friendly, and you will find yourself just hitting buttons at random. Thats only at the begining cause things are so easy. When it gets hard, its hard. It then takes skill in huge quantities. A finishing system ensures all enimies will get an entertaining and cinematic finish. Basically once you get enemies to a certain health point, you can innatiate a sorta cutscene like thing where you got to do joystick rotations and timed button presses. Its quite fun and well implemented. Little problems include, annoying camera, but it is usually good.8.5/10

Value: This is, like all action adventure games, its weakest point. The game took me around 12:46:23 my first time though on normal, on harder difficulties things will heat up quite a bit though. Theres a bevy of unlockables, but in total with all stuff considered you should be getting around 30-40 if you do everything, but then again, just it alone is 12. 7/10

Overal: Its a great game, probably in ps2's best 10, but hey thats not saying much. While this game is not enough to save the literly dying system, it proves that the ps2 is capable of having some good games on it. 9/10 (not an average)

#2 Guest_metroid_dragon_*

Guest_metroid_dragon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:50 PM

ok, as i said on MSN i disagree with alot of those ratings. As i have also played the game quite a bit (i think we were up to 8 or 9 hours when i left) here is my standing on things:

Graphics: 10/10
--This is the one area i cannot fault, the games graphics are beautiful and surpass the graphics of even some Xbox and Gamecube games.

Sound: 6/10
--The Music i found to be interesting but nothing special, The music never inspired feeling or epicness and i never took the time to listen to it of my own free will as you do in a game with truly wonderfull music. The Sound effects were nothing special, there was absolutly nothing good (or bad) about them.

Gameplay: 7/10
--Welcome to button mashing mania. I found myself hitting nothing but Triangle in order to beat rooms. There were many, many moves available, i will give it that, but i found that any normal area could be beaten with just repeating the same move over and over again. If you ever came accross a room that was actually challenging and might require stratagy, well just press R3 and L3 together to activate godly powers that let you become Über powerfull and you can beat any room with this extra strength providing it's not a boss room. Now speaking of bosses, This is a very good aspect of the game. All of the bosses are very well done and most of them DO require a decent amount of stratagy to beat. All enimies also have very well done semi-cinimatic finishing moves which you can excecute should you wish to (or you can simply beat them into a pulp if your that type of a gamer) These finishing moves can be very well done and sometimes require well timed button presses or analog stick turns or the move will fail. This idea is completly ripped off of Resident Evil 4 however, but the game perfects the system and manages to make the game have a much better feel.

Value (including Game life): N/A
--I cannot give an accurate statment on Game life so i wont bother trying, but i can tell i probally wouldnt play it more than twice, once on an easy difficulty and once on a harder one if i'm running low on other games to beat. After that the games linear atmosphere would make me very hesitent to play it any more.

Tilt: 9/10
--Most of the things i said are negative but the game is actually quite appealing still. There is something about senseless, repetative killing thats enoyable, The games storyline is somewhat pointless i find though. It's not a horrible storyline, it just seems somewhat thrown together at the last minute and very cliche. Speaking of cliches, the game is chock full of them, alot of them work well but i was longing for something original after awhile.

Average: 8/10

#3 Naylord

Naylord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:24 PM

you played the game for maybe four hours, so your review isnt as valid as mine, I have beaten the game and I can honestly say you missed all the best stuff in the game.

#4 Guest_metroid_dragon_*

Guest_metroid_dragon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:36 PM

Now we rented it at what like 6pm the night before and basically played it untill like 2 or 3 that morning, then we switched over to Super Smash Bros. plus dont forget that you played for about 2 or 3 hours the next day after noah came over. Thats alot of time i experienced the game for.

anyways, I know we were alternating, but even while i wasnt playing i still was in the room and could watch you play, so i still have a good view on what was going on.

As for not seeing the end, well if the game gets alot better near the end then thats not neccesarily a good thing, it means that the developers left out things that could have improved gameplay early on.

All of the things that i said were bad i seriously doubt any would change drastically later in the game. If the music/sound effects didn't catch my attention early on, I've never experienced a game that does later.

As for storyline, your right, that may have improved i cannot say. But unless there was a major plot twist i doubt it got any better (and this isnt the type of game that has plot twists)

As for button mashing, The combat could have improved later your right, but even if it did it still was nothing but button mashing in the beggining, and i would probally take points off of my review if they switched from button mashing to complete stratagy in the middle of the game. That would just be incredibly inconsistant and annoying for any player who has gotten used to the gameplay.

(and anyways, it's not like 8/10 is a bad mark)

#5 Naylord

Naylord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:21 AM

the whole time you were saying "Oh my god this is awesome" and stuff like that, dont you forget 58.gif
also, the button mashing ends due to difficulty mainly, so if you were to play on lets say spartan or god mode there would be no button mashing involved, you have to strategicaly use your moves to keep crowds at bay and to evade, it gets quite chalenging.

#6 charlie

charlie

I'll be back..

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:15 PM

This game contains, the must brutal, cruel, sometimes disturbing animations you have ever seen!

when i read that i said to myself:

right, get my wallet we're goin to the shops 4.gif

a nice review aswell

#7 Naylord

Naylord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:55 AM

Yes, I hope you enjoy impaling that hydra! Oh what fun!
Also, try ripping the wings of harpies, quite an effective tactic tongue.gif

#8 Guest_metroid_dragon_*

Guest_metroid_dragon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:50 AM

i loved the whole slamming sirens face into cement... multiple times. man some of those semi-cinimatic finishes are beautiful.

#9 Naylord

Naylord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:53 AM

that was the best one, it seems so utterly brutal and abusive. Like woman battering. Yes, Im disturbed I know. 4.gif

#10 theonesephiroth

theonesephiroth

• Honored members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:17 PM

wow i wanted to get this gAme before....NOW I CANT WAIT!!!!!
lol it looks really sick nice reveiw naylord

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users