4 replies to this topic

#1 the potato

the potato

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:02 PM

Unless you are Mike! or batman, you must not post in this topic.
Rules are in the pinned topic.

Muslim Women & Full Veils
against: Mike!
for: Batman

DEBATE!

#2 Batman

Batman

Everything I say is right.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

I am debating that Full Veils should be allowed. Why?
Well full veils are not going to harm anybody- the most they will cause is an annoyance to a particular type of person. Many may argue that it is uncomfortable to talk to somebody when you can only see their eyes- I believe this to be a pathetic argument as its equally uncomfortable (for others) to speak to people who are under-dressed. It is equally distracting.
We are able to wear our crosses with no problems- so they should be allowed to wear their religious items. Its not religion that sparks wars- its stupidity and people undermining another's religion (for example by banning the idea of the headress.)

Should people have to give up their whole religion (an important part of their life) just so somebody doesn't feel slightly awkward?
Perhaps they believe this will affect them in an after-life too.

Many believe that all Muslim terrorists wear headresses- this is not true either, many Muslim terrorists do not wear headresses, therefore it is a stupid stereotype.
So the terrorist argument cannot be used to debate against the veils.

Veils will cover a Muslim woman's face, so people who are not their lovers will not look at them- this may seem odd but it is their belief- also if a woman doesn't want to be looked at by men surely it is her choice and should be regarded as her decision? Its a freedom of action just like abortion which is legal.

What about Christians preaching on the streets, spreading the word?
Or Christians spreading the word of God to other countries. This is allowed, yet maybe the people of those countries do not believe in Christianity?

To close this debate I think we just need to understand how Christians would feel if Crosses were banned.
Or if any other religion had an item banned.
Remember acting as if one religious is superior to another is just like a white person acting like they are superior to a black person (or vice versa) it is insensitive racism.
And as a final note of ignorance the male Muslims have religious items too- only the accusers are too ignorant to notice this.

#3 Mike!

Mike!

Somebody save me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE(Batman @ Oct 16 2006, 12:08 AM) View Post

I am debating that Full Veils should be allowed. Why?
Well full veils are not going to harm anybody- the most they will cause is an annoyance to a particular type of person. Many may argue that it is uncomfortable to talk to somebody when you can only see their eyes- I believe this to be a pathetic argument as its equally uncomfortable (for others) to speak to people who are under-dressed. It is equally distracting.
We are able to wear our crosses with no problems- so they should be allowed to wear their religious items. Its not religion that sparks wars- its stupidity and people undermining another's religion (for example by banning the idea of the headress.)

Should people have to give up their whole religion (an important part of their life) just so somebody doesn't feel slightly awkward?
Perhaps they believe this will affect them in an after-life too.

Many believe that all Muslim terrorists wear headresses- this is not true either, many Muslim terrorists do not wear headresses, therefore it is a stupid stereotype.
So the terrorist argument cannot be used to debate against the veils.

Veils will cover a Muslim woman's face, so people who are not their lovers will not look at them- this may seem odd but it is their belief- also if a woman doesn't want to be looked at by men surely it is her choice and should be regarded as her decision? Its a freedom of action just like abortion which is legal.

What about Christians preaching on the streets, spreading the word?
Or Christians spreading the word of God to other countries. This is allowed, yet maybe the people of those countries do not believe in Christianity?

To close this debate I think we just need to understand how Christians would feel if Crosses were banned.
Or if any other religion had an item banned.
Remember acting as if one religious is superior to another is just like a white person acting like they are superior to a black person (or vice versa) it is insensitive racism.
And as a final note of ignorance the male Muslims have religious items too- only the accusers are too ignorant to notice this.

English people have a right to want to have veils removed, I don't support this opinion personally but many people including politicians think that since they are in our country they should live with our culture.
You say veils are not worn by terrorists? Well that is obvious because most terrorist are men. The argument about terrorist is about how they have used them in the past to disguise themselves.

Eh I will post more next time I am to busy right now

#4 Batman

Batman

Everything I say is right.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE(Mike! @ Oct 16 2006, 05:07 PM) View Post

English people have a right to want to have veils removed, I don't support this opinion personally but many people including politicians think that since they are in our country they should live with our culture.
You say veils are not worn by terrorists? Well that is obvious because most terrorist are men. The argument about terrorist is about how they have used them in the past to disguise themselves.

Eh I will post more next time I am to busy right now

But many terrorists do not wear veils- as why disguise yourself when the authorities don't know what you look like in the first place?
If veils were taken away terrorism would still continue.

#5 the potato

the potato

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:06 PM

for defending his beliefs, batman wins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users