#1 Batman

Batman

Everything I say is right.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:12 AM

Debate,
here is an extract from a Gollywog book (these books are for children by the way.)

"Once the three bold Golliwogs, Golly, Woggie, and Nigger, decided to go for a walk to Bumble-Bee Common. Golly wasn't quite ready so Woggie and Nigger said they would start off without him, and Golly would catch them up as soon as he could. So off went Woggie and Nigger, arm-in-arm, singing merrily their favourite song - which, as you may guess, was Ten Little Nigger Boys."

FACT: Ten Little Niggers is the name of a children's poem, sometimes set to music, which celebrates the deaths of ten Black children, one-by-one.

This is very racist as you can see here, but they are only cute dolls still, and you hug and cuddle the dolls, so I actually think they are a sweet idea. But I can see how they are racist- let's face it Golly-check Wog-check Nigger? Seems a bit unneccessary.
I think just the dolls and badges are fine- it's a trend of loved children's dolls like a teddy bear or toy soldier. But the books are very racist indeed.
Your views?

#2 BreakTheReflection

BreakTheReflection

Sylvia Plath

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:52 AM

http://www.ferris.ed...mcrow/golliwog/

I was reading about the gollywogs on this website^ and they seem very strange to me. The only reason I would want to get a hold of one of these dolls would be to get money from them, haha.

Were the books originally written to be offensive? The excerpt that you quoted wasn't from the original author. Maybe I undersood it incorrectly but it seems like the books by Enid Blyton were written to prove a point or to parody the original books written by Florence Upton.

By the way, this is just an idea...

The claim that Golliwogs are racist is supported by literary depictions by writers such as Enid Blyton. Unlike Florence Upton's, Blyton's Golliwogs were often rude, mischievous, elfin villains. In Blyton's book, Here Comes Noddy Again, a Golliwog asks the hero for help, then steals his car. Blyton, one of the most prolific European writers, included the Golliwogs in many stories, but she only wrote three books primarily about Golliwogs: The Three Golliwogs (1944), The Proud Golliwog (1951), and The Golliwog Grumbled (1953). Her depictions of Golliwogs are, by contemporary standards, racially insensitive. An excerpt from The Three Golliwogs is illustrative: "Once the three bold Golliwogs, Golly, Woggie, and Nigger, decided to go for a walk to Bumble-Bee Common. Golly wasn't quite ready so Woggie and Nigger said they would start off without him, and Golly would catch them up as soon as he could. So off went Woggie and Nigger, arm-in-arm, singing merrily their favourite song - which, as you may guess, was Ten Little Nigger Boys."

#3 evanfan1117

evanfan1117

<3

• NuneWorld Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:07 PM

Yeah, I've read these before. They're meant to be that way, which is still..kind of messed up.

#4 ACEfanatic02

ACEfanatic02

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:45 AM

Maybe the fact that they started in the 19th century has something to do with that...

Just saying.

You can date any book by racism.

-ACE

#5 trigunkilla

trigunkilla

FOR PONY!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:48 AM

if its from way back when then nigger is probly there for its true meaning: ignorant
and i dont see a problem. this makes me laugh. i want the book.

#6 Batman

Batman

Everything I say is right.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:52 AM

Can I make a confession?
I have a Gollywog and I LOVE it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users