• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RubberDuck32

RubberDuck32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:37 PM

I found this article this morning and it got me thinking. Yes. I agree that violent games and tv shows do have some affect on the minds of kids and teens. Yes, they may cause problems. But these problems could have easily been avoided if the parents would have stepped in and drew the line. It's the job of the parent to set the rules and make sure their kids know what is right and what isn't. However, all to often today parents let kids do whatever they want and get away with everything they do. And then the parents are upset that their kids are acting inappropriatly and end up blamed something for it, cause God forbid that it's the parents fault. Thus videogames are labeled the problem. Part of it also rests with the kid to realize that the games and show aren't real and that they shouldn't copy them. But the parents need to send out the initial message and enforce it.

When I was little there were some shows and games that I played that got be wound up andviolent. My parents made sure I knew that that kind of behavior was unacceptable. It took a couple warnings, some tiems being grounded, and finally being banned from watched a couple shows to do it, but I got the message, and today I'm fine. If other parents would be like mine and have the balls to stand up to their kids, and start acting like parents, then I think the issue wouldn't be nearly as big.

#2 Batman

Batman

Everything I say is right.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE(RubberDuck32 @ Dec 2 2006, 01:37 PM) View Post

I found this article this morning and it got me thinking. Yes. I agree that violent games and tv shows do have some affect on the minds of kids and teens. Yes, they may cause problems. But these problems could have easily been avoided if the parents would have stepped in and drew the line. It's the job of the parent to set the rules and make sure their kids know what is right and what isn't. However, all to often today parents let kids do whatever they want and get away with everything they do. And then the parents are upset that their kids are acting inappropriatly and end up blamed something for it, cause God forbid that it's the parents fault. Thus videogames are labeled the problem. Part of it also rests with the kid to realize that the games and show aren't real and that they shouldn't copy them. But the parents need to send out the initial message and enforce it.

When I was little there were some shows and games that I played that got be wound up andviolent. My parents made sure I knew that that kind of behavior was unacceptable. It took a couple warnings, some tiems being grounded, and finally being banned from watched a couple shows to do it, but I got the message, and today I'm fine. If other parents would be like mine and have the balls to stand up to their kids, and start acting like parents, then I think the issue wouldn't be nearly as big.

Its a gaming forum mate, I doubt anyone will say anything different.

#3 RubberDuck32

RubberDuck32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:05 AM

Figured as much, but I've had some crazy debates on this kind of thing before and I figured it might be worth a try here.

#4 tzobell

tzobell

Gold Member

• NuneWorld Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:52 AM

if violent video games did cause a person to behave violently then you would see a direct correlation between the rise in popularity in video games and a rise in crime. the fact is thouhg, that there is no correlation. During the 90's when video games really started to get popular, crime plumeted to a 20 or 30 year low. The study said that violent material caused "emotional arousal" but thats pretty vauge. Is it just an adreniline rush? Could you get the same effect from just listening to some fast pase music that gave you an adreniline rush? The study is pretty insuficent in my opinion, and didnt really answer a lot of questions. If i was a parrent i would limit video game time, not because of adverse mental affects, but because they are a time waster and take away from other parts of your life if you become to involved with them.

#5 Batman

Batman

Everything I say is right.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(tzobell @ Dec 6 2006, 02:52 AM) View Post

if violent video games did cause a person to behave violently then you would see a direct correlation between the rise in popularity in video games and a rise in crime. the fact is thouhg, that there is no correlation. During the 90's when video games really started to get popular, crime plumeted to a 20 or 30 year low. The study said that violent material caused "emotional arousal" but thats pretty vauge. Is it just an adreniline rush? Could you get the same effect from just listening to some fast pase music that gave you an adreniline rush? The study is pretty insuficent in my opinion, and didnt really answer a lot of questions. If i was a parrent i would limit video game time, not because of adverse mental affects, but because they are a time waster and take away from other parts of your life if you become to involved with them.

TZOBELL: (Smacks kid) Stop playing Video Games and go explore drugs and prostitution instead!

dry.gif

#6 tzobell

tzobell

Gold Member

• NuneWorld Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:26 AM

Oh fo sho

#7 Rogue Psychology

Rogue Psychology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:03 AM

i think racing games may have effects on kids and teen though personally i love racing games read this

Encouragement of reckless road behavior

Concerns about the game's possible encouragement of speeding and evading legal authority surfaced when a copy of Need for Speed was found in one of two street racing Mercedes cars in Toronto in January 26, 2006; the street racer was involved in an accident which resulted in a taxi-driver's death.[2]

Celebrity-endorsed advisories have been included in opening cut scenes of Need for Speed titles since Need for Speed: Underground, stressing that players should only race within the games, as well as advising gamers to drive responsibly in real-life. This indicates recent efforts in part of the games' developer to ensure that the players were informed on the dangers of imitating reckless driving.

not that the crash is funny but the fact that the copy of of the game was there is rather lol

#8 tzobell

tzobell

Gold Member

• NuneWorld Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE(Rogue Psychology @ Dec 30 2006, 01:03 AM) View Post
i think racing games may have effects on kids and teen though personally i love racing games read this

Encouragement of reckless road behavior

Concerns about the game's possible encouragement of speeding and evading legal authority surfaced when a copy of Need for Speed was found in one of two street racing Mercedes cars in Toronto in January 26, 2006; the street racer was involved in an accident which resulted in a taxi-driver's death.[2]

Celebrity-endorsed advisories have been included in opening cut scenes of Need for Speed titles since Need for Speed: Underground, stressing that players should only race within the games, as well as advising gamers to drive responsibly in real-life. This indicates recent efforts in part of the games' developer to ensure that the players were informed on the dangers of imitating reckless driving.

not that the crash is funny but the fact that the copy of of the game was there is rather lol

How do we know that playing need for speed encouraged this person to drive reckless? Perhaps they were drawn into raceing and driving from other sources such as friends, family ect. and as a result decided to buy need for speed sence it correlated with thier intrest. Was thier intrest in raceing and driving a direct result of playing need for speed, or was playing need for speed a direct result of being interested in raceing and driving?

#9 Eraserhead

Eraserhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(tzobell @ Mar 25 2007, 10:12 PM) View Post
How do we know that playing need for speed encouraged this person to drive reckless? Perhaps they were drawn into raceing and driving from other sources such as friends, family ect. and as a result decided to buy need for speed sence it correlated with thier intrest. Was thier intrest in raceing and driving a direct result of playing need for speed, or was playing need for speed a direct result of being interested in raceing and driving?

I agree with tzobell, Need for Speed was probably part of a bigger obsession. Even the kids at Columbine had more than just Doom as an influence. And I think to act on an influence you either have to be mentally ill or just idioted.

#10 trigunkilla

trigunkilla

FOR PONY!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:14 AM

exactly. if video games with violence make people violent then books are much much worse. because in books you get to use your imagination. and besides any kid that is going to shoot up his school cause hes jacked up on coffee and was playing doom all night is going to do it even without the violent games cause they are !@#$ed up in the head to begin with.

#11 Maester Seymour

Maester Seymour

Yes I am an eccentric person

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

Well yes they can wreck the little ones heads and no as in its just a game it won't affect some people at all.
Both are fully debatable, and both have good reasons behind each other as well.

I would say yes they do. Because seeing the violence caused in video games does wreck someones mind state
me for example, have been traumatized by some really violent games.

Yes I could be an idiot for playing those violent games still, but I have a fascination with death and gore
me being the person that I am, being exposed to it from a very early age. (10 yrs old or something along those lines)

#12 Azmaria Hendric

Azmaria Hendric

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Video games can seriously mess up a person's mind if not played in "the right way" that is,
not turn into a violent, insane killer with an appetite for death and bloodshed.

I know that they are made up, unlike some people in the modern era nowdays.
They can't hurt me and I should have nothing to worry about.

But some people can go over the edge... hence the video game problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users