5 replies to this topic

#1 Maester Seymour

Maester Seymour

Yes I am an eccentric person

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

All I know about it is, that it is Japanese made and spans 6 discs.
I know its sad, but true. I am totally unaware of this game.
It flew under my gaming radar.

Any links or info about this game would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Shinobi_Artist

Shinobi_Artist

1st RP Tournament Champion

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

Lost Odyssey is a JRPG for 360 that spans "4" disks. It tells the story of an ancient war hero and his companions who are rumored to be immortal. In an attempt to rule the world, they are betrayed by one of the companions and have their memories suppressed deep in their minds. When events in the world spark a memory in the main character it begins his adventure to save the planet.

Ok, now that I got the blah blah blah part out about it. I thought LO was a decent RPG for the 360, I picked it up when it first came out. It plays out like every other turn based RPG but has a few things to try and differenciate it from all the other masses. It works some what in my opinion. The story is what kept me going in it. I really got attached to some of the characters and liked the stories progression. You should be able to pick it up in a bargain bin somewhere, worth the $ if your an RPG player.

#3 metroid_dragon

metroid_dragon

☢ Doomed Utopia Theorem ☢ (Law of Zeal)

• NuneWorld Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:33 PM

It's got some very good, and very stale parts.

I'm going to do this Kotaku Style:

~I liked:~
The dream sequences: Random events in the game will trigger short stories that you can read if you wish, they are storybook style and have very few visuals other than a blurry background that is relevant to what is happening in the story and some audio background noises. (sea gulls and waves if the story is currently at a beach). Each and everyone one was written with incredible skill and some quite literally brought me to tears they were so beautiful. And it's not easy to get me to that point, it requires true skill to write like that.

The music: It wasn't mind-blowing, but it all suited the environments and situations well. I won't ever go out and download the OST, but nor did I ever complain about the music once.

The setting: the game was well detailed and the feel of the world was believable and enjoyable, if not mind-blowing.

~I disliked:~
The Characters: Only a couple of the characters felt somewhat believable, the rest were single-minded robots it seemed like. Though perhaps this was intentional as you find out shortly after the game begins that many of them are thousands of years old yet have lost their memories. Regardless I wasn't a fan of the monotone and somewhat single-mindedness of many of the characters.

The pacing: Too often I would find myself muttering that I wanted to quit but hadn't seen a save point in 30 minutes. Too often I would find myself tired of the same dungeon which felt like it had dragged on for too long already.

~I was Neutral towards:~
The Battle System: Think Final Fantasy VII, remove materia and add a very small quick time event to each attack and you have Lost Odyssey's battle system. It's shallow, it's simplistic, it's unoriginal, but it's fun which is really what matters. Which is why I'm labeling this as a neutral item instead of a disliked item.

The story: It was a standard RPG story, nothing amazing, but not terrible either. There were a few moments that were very memorable, as well as a few parts that seemed somewhat silly.

~Conclusion:~ worth getting at full price only if you're an RPG fan who is looking for a new, lengthy game. Worth getting for everyone else only if you find it at a bargain price.

#4 Azmaria Hendric

Azmaria Hendric

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (metroid_dragon @ Mar 26 2009, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's got some very good, and very stale parts.

I'm going to do this Kotaku Style:

~I liked:~
The dream sequences: Random events in the game will trigger short stories that you can read if you wish, they are storybook style and have very few visuals other than a blurry background that is relevant to what is happening in the story and some audio background noises. (sea gulls and waves if the story is currently at a beach). Each and everyone one was written with incredible skill and some quite literally brought me to tears they were so beautiful. And it's not easy to get me to that point, it requires true skill to write like that.

The music: It wasn't mind-blowing, but it all suited the environments and situations well. I won't ever go out and download the OST, but nor did I ever complain about the music once.

The setting: the game was well detailed and the feel of the world was believable and enjoyable, if not mind-blowing.

~I disliked:~
The Characters: Only a couple of the characters felt somewhat believable, the rest were single-minded robots it seemed like. Though perhaps this was intentional as you find out shortly after the game begins that many of them are thousands of years old yet have lost their memories. Regardless I wasn't a fan of the monotone and somewhat single-mindedness of many of the characters.

The pacing: Too often I would find myself muttering that I wanted to quit but hadn't seen a save point in 30 minutes. Too often I would find myself tired of the same dungeon which felt like it had dragged on for too long already.

~I was Neutral towards:~
The Battle System: Think Final Fantasy VII, remove materia and add a very small quick time event to each attack and you have Lost Odyssey's battle system. It's shallow, it's simplistic, it's unoriginal, but it's fun which is really what matters. Which is why I'm labeling this as a neutral item instead of a disliked item.

The story: It was a standard RPG story, nothing amazing, but not terrible either. There were a few moments that were very memorable, as well as a few parts that seemed somewhat silly.

~Conclusion:~ worth getting at full price only if you're an RPG fan who is looking for a new, lengthy game. Worth getting for everyone else only if you find it at a bargain price.

Well at least one of us liked it eh? I took it back after like a week playing it.
It definitely wasn't my sort of RPG game

#5 sureideas

sureideas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

After the awesome cutscenes, you'll encounter your first battle in the game against some soldiers. Just keep attacking them until you encouter your boss battle.

#6 KellyJ

KellyJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:48 AM

Lost Odyssey is a JRPG for 360 that spans "4" disks. It tells the story of an ancient war hero and his companions who are rumored to be immortal. In an attempt to rule the world, they are betrayed by one of the companions and have their memories suppressed deep in their minds. When events in the world spark a memory in the main character it begins his adventure to save the planet.

Ok, now that I got the blah blah blah part out about it. I thought LO was a decent RPG for the 360, I picked it up when it first came out. It plays out like every other turn based RPG but has a few things to try and differenciate it from all the other masses. It works some what in my opinion. The story is what kept me going in it. I really got attached to some of the characters and liked the stories progression. You should be able to pick it up in a bargain bin somewhere, worth the $ if your an RPG player.

Thanks you for the post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users