10 replies to this topic

#1 BreakTheReflection

BreakTheReflection

Sylvia Plath

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

Not sure if this should be in paranormal, but it seems to fit well enough here...haha

anyway, I found this article about lightning injuries and the symptoms that people can get afterwards...I found it really interesting...and after seeing this, I have a new fear of being struck by lightning...

eMedicine Lightning Injuries

Physical: Physical presentation may vary from mild disorientation with no immediate physical signs to cardiac arrest (the only direct cause of death) and anoxic brain injury.

* Cardiorespiratory symptoms

o Cardiorespiratory arrest is the only known direct cause of death but is still uncommon. Lightning acts as massive defibrillation, sending the heart into momentary asystole, from which the heart often spontaneously recovers. The autonomic nervous system control has also been shown to be affected by lightning. In addition, for unknown reasons, respiratory arrest usually lasts longer than the initial cardiac arrest; thus, a secondary cardiac arrest from either hypoxia or other unknown causes may occur.

o Many changes may be observed on the ECG, but the most commonly reported is QT prolongation, which generally resolves over several months and does not commonly require treatment. The indicated treatment depends on the resulting abnormality.

* Neurological symptoms

o Patients who are awake are usually able to carry on reasonably appropriate social conversation. However, they may develop disabling neurocognitive deficits similar to those of people with blunt head injury, which may not be apparent until survivors attempt to return to their previous work and are unable to process new information, organize their activities, and multitask.

o Acute pain, numbness, or other dysesthesias may be reported. Chronic pain syndromes may develop from lightning injuries and may be due to nerve injury, sympathetic nervous system injury, spinal column injury, or other causes.

o Sympathetic nervous system injury may cause vascular spasm, temporary paralysis and mottling of an extremity (keraunoparalysis), transient hypertension, and late problems with positive tilt test results, vertigo or dizziness, hypertension, and pain syndromes.

o If the patient is unconscious, suspect and investigate anoxic brain injury or underlying brain injury.

* Dermatological symptoms

o Deep burns: Because lightning usually has extremely brief contact with the skin, deep burns are rare. Should burns occur, treat them like any other high-voltage injury, including investigating for myoglobinuria.

o Superficial burns: Burns may appear linear (often secondary to vaporized sweat or rainwater), punctate, or in pathognomonic fernlike patterns. Burns may also be secondary to heating metal, such as necklaces, coins in the pocket, or cleats on the bottom of athletic shoes.

#2 masterblacktop

masterblacktop

Gone With the rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:34 PM

freakie...A few months ago a golfer and his son were killed by a lightning strike after taking shelter under a verandah on the golf course during a thunder storm in minneasota dry.gif ....
it brings the it to my mind. How safe are our boats on the open blue during a thunder storm?
Are there any special procedures a designer or builder can incorporate into the boat during construction, over and above the ABYC recommendations, to make it safer during a strike?
Lastly, in the event of lol Zeus being in a bad mood, and decides to zap your boat with a bolt, is it safer to be inside or outside the boat if you in a boat.. huh.gif

#3 Iroquois Pliskin

Iroquois Pliskin

NW's Sexiest Male 07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:22 AM

This was really interesting, it's really worrying how not only can you be physically injured but have neurological symptoms as well.

#4 BreakTheReflection

BreakTheReflection

Sylvia Plath

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:27 AM

I mean before I read this, I thought just surviving being struck by lightning was amazing...but having to deal with all this afterwards sounds awful...

#5 Marshy

Marshy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:25 PM

My mother's cousin was killed by lightning a long time ago. That's wierd, I thaught surviving would be cool too, but all that pain would suck.

#6 fahmid101

fahmid101

I c@n $p311 1!k3 @ g@ng$t@

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:01 AM

i hear that being hit by lightning feels lke someone put a vibrator in you

#7 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:45 AM

You're just as likely to die being struck by lightning as you are to die by falling out of bed. Both are a 1 in 2,000,000 chance.

Interesting tid-bit I thought I'd throw out there.

#8 BreakTheReflection

BreakTheReflection

Sylvia Plath

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(Vintage @ Jun 20 2006, 09:45 PM) View Post

You're just as likely to die being struck by lightning as you are to die by falling out of bed. Both are a 1 in 2,000,000 chance.

Interesting tid-bit I thought I'd throw out there.

That is interesting. So does that mean that most people survive being struck by lightning? The physical problems afterwards still seem terrible...

#9 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE(BreakTheReflection @ Jun 21 2006, 05:19 PM) View Post

That is interesting. So does that mean that most people survive being struck by lightning? The physical problems afterwards still seem terrible...

I may have written it wrong, as I've already packed what I read it in, but It may have been 'You're just as likely to be struck by lightning as you are to die by falling out of bed.'

Either way, I would imagine it would be extremely unlikely surviving a lightning strike.

#10 Master SeeSaw

Master SeeSaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

sic a$$, in Oz we hav tht

Innit?

#11 Tundra142

Tundra142

Advanced Member

• Members