Photo

Computer Term Of The Week

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think this is a good idea? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think this is a good idea?

1. Yes (25 votes [53.19%])

Percentage of vote: 53.19%

2. No (4 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

3. Maybe (7 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

4. I Don't Know (4 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

5. No Opinion (7 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 jbod

jbod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 08:24 AM

Well, Sage got the jisst of it.
QUOTE(Definition as per Webopedia.com)
macro:

(1) A symbol, name, or key that represents a list of commands, actions, or keystrokes. Many programs allow you to create macros so that you can enter a single character or word to perform a whole series of actions. Suppose, for example, that you are editing a file and want to indent every third line five spaces. If your word processor supports macros, you can create one that consists of the following keystrokes:

Move Cursor to Beginning of Line

Move Cursor Down 1 Line

Move Cursor Down 1 Line

Move Cursor Down 1 Line

Insert 5 Spaces

Now you can enter the name of the macro, and the word processor will perform all these commands at once.

You can also use macros to enter words or phrases that you use frequently. For example, you could define a macro to contain all the keystrokes necessary to begin a letter -- your name, address, and a code that inserts the current date. Then, whenever you write a letter, you just press the macro key to include the letter header.

In a way, macros are like simple programs or batch files. Some applications support sophisticated macros that even allow you to use variables and flow control structures such as loops.

(2) In dBASE programs, a macro is a variable that points to another variable where the data is actually stored. In most other applications, this would be called a link.

For this weeks 1st "TOTW", Aaron1339, thunderleaf, blue, and sage cannot answer. Ok then. This week's 1st "TOTW" is:
    user posted image "GIF"

#17 thunderleaf

thunderleaf

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(blue @ Nov 22 2003, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE(thunderleaf @ Nov 22 2003, 03:41 AM)

Macro..... uhh.... i know what it is but i dont know how to explain it... its some kinda coding..... DOH!

Thunder! You can't answer!

oops sry i didnt read jbods post.

#18 jbod

jbod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 05:48 AM

That's O.K. Nobody reads them anyway....Just kidding. laugh.gif Nice to hear that it was just a case of not reading the info, rather than just not caring at all. I am actually very pleased with all of you....There has not been too many cases of spamming, scamming, etc.(stuff stated in regulations) going on in here. Very nice to see that.

btw, only 16 more posts to reach 100.....YEAH! w00t.gif coke8.gif BEERS around the house when I reach 100 OK?

Make that 13 now....

Edited by jbod, 24 November 2003 - 07:23 AM.

#19 thunderleaf

thunderleaf

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(jbod @ Nov 24 2003, 04:48 AM)
That's O.K.  Nobody reads them anyway....Just kidding. laugh.gif   Nice to hear that it was just a case of not reading the info, rather than just not caring at all.  I am actually very pleased with all of you....There has not been too many cases of spamming, scamming, etc.(stuff stated in regulations) going on in here.  Very nice to see that.

btw, only 16 more posts to reach 100.....YEAH! w00t.gif  coke8.gif   BEERS around the house when I reach 100 OK?

Make that 13 now....

I did read it but i only read the answer so i missed the part that syas i cant answer. laugh.gif

#20 jbod

jbod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 07:38 AM

That's OK thunderleaf. It was only a joke anyways. BTW, just incase anyone has forgotten, the current "TOTW" is:

user posted image"GIF"

#21 blue

blue

Gold Member

• Honored members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(jbod @ Nov 27 2003, 01:38 AM)
That's OK thunderleaf.  It was only a joke anyways.  BTW, just incase anyone has forgotten, the current "TOTW" is:

user posted image"GIF"

I think that we should have the right to answer because no one else is answering.

#22 thunderleaf

thunderleaf

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(blue @ Nov 27 2003, 09:40 PM)
QUOTE(jbod @ Nov 27 2003, 01:38 AM)
That's OK thunderleaf.  It was only a joke anyways.  BTW, just incase anyone has forgotten, the current "TOTW" is:

user posted image"GIF"

I think that we should have the right to answer because no one else is answering.

omg its easy.... but i cant answer... cry_smile.gif

#23 jbod

jbod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 10:24 AM

That's why it is called a Term Of The WEEK. However, on Saturday(12:00 am MY TIME), if the term is still unanswered, then you guys can answer. That goes for all other Terms as well. But I will not post another term until Sunday. Agreed?

You know, I thought that there would be more people interested in this....

#24 thunderleaf

thunderleaf

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 11:30 PM

HEY! Its already 03:40 in YOUR timezone. Well when do the answer come?!?!?

#25 sage

sage

Music forum moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 04:15 AM

Hmmm Gif if a Image commpressing standard based on LZW algoritham , known in 1987 by some factory(i dont know name). Gif stands for :Graphics Interchange Format, and its format of picture that usually you see on web pages, becouse palette of а gif picture is in 256 colors that mean the gif picture have small size and that is good for your web page to be read quicly ... i think ??? or i 'm wrong

#26 jbod

jbod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:49 AM

Well.....First of all, I AM SORRY for not being here lately (AGAIN). As you all know, I am up to my neck with stuff for school. I WILL try to be available more often, but if I am not, ~unblest_orc~ will take my place. He can answer any questions you may have regarding PC's. Secondly, Sage, you are correct.
QUOTE(definition as per Webopedia.com)
GIF:

Pronounced jiff or giff (hard g) stands for graphics interchange format, a bit-mapped graphics file format used by the World Wide Web, CompuServe and many BBSs. GIF supports color and various resolutions. It also includes data compression, but because it is limited to 256 colors, it is more effective for scanned images such as illustrations rather than color photos.

This weeks "TOTW" is:

user posted image"Time-Out" or "Timeout"

Now, being that the previous "TOTW" was not answered by a new person, I ask that the following people not answer the current "TOTW" unless it goes unanswered by 12:00 AM(my local time) Sat. morning: thunderleaf, blue, and sage

#27 jbod

jbod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 11:49 AM

Once again, I am sorry. I now have a part-time job to tend to and I dont know if I will be able to be active here for a while. But don't worry, I will be in every so often to see how things are going. btw, no one answered the previous TOTW. I will post a new one now, but in the meantime, anybody can answer them. I don't think it was a good idea to limit the answering to certain people. not too many people seem to be interested in this anymore. But I will still keep it going.
QUOTE(definition as per webopedia.com)
Time-Out or Timeout:

An interrupt signal generated by a program or device that has waited a certain length of time for some input but has not received it. Many programs perform time-outs so that the program does not sit idle waiting for input that may never come. For example, automatic bank-teller machines perform a time-out if you do not enter your password quickly enough.

The new TOTW is:

user posted image "Emulation"

BTW, you should take a look at my new website. the link is in my signature, underneath the pic of the MYSTERY CAR....The site is about a new car that was brought out by some company. They are not telling anyone who the car is made by or what it is called, but I have an idea. You should go there if you are wondering about it. It's very interesting.

#28 thunderleaf

thunderleaf

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 01:29 PM

Emulation..... may i answer? If so.... scroll down.

4.gif 4.gif 4.gif 4.gif

It's when a system imitates another system, for example, Emulators makes the pc imitate some video game.

#29 jbod

jbod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 07:00 PM

That is correct Thunderleaf!

QUOTE(definition as per Webopedia.com)
Emulation:

Refers to the ability of a program or device to imitate another program or device. Many printers, for example, are designed to emulate Hewlett-Packard LaserJet printers because so much software is written for HP printers. By emulating an HP printer, a printer can work with any software written for a real HP printer. Emulation tricks the software into believing that a device is really some other device.

Communications software packages often include terminal emulation drivers . This enables your PC to emulate a particular type of terminal so that you can log on to a mainframe.

It is also possible for a computer to emulate another type of computer. For example, there are programs that enable an Apple Macintosh to emulate a PC.

The new "TOTW" is:

user posted image "Zeroconf."

Anybody will be allowed to answer from now on.

#30 blue

blue

Gold Member

• Honored members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 07:06 PM

Zero Configuration Networking.

Zeroconf is a Working Group of the IETF. The charter of the Zeroconf Working Group is to enable Zero Configuration IP Networking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users