Photo

Computer Term Of The Week

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think this is a good idea? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think this is a good idea?

1. Yes (25 votes [53.19%])

Percentage of vote: 53.19%

2. No (4 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

3. Maybe (7 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

4. I Don't Know (4 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

5. No Opinion (7 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jbod

jbod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:30 AM

Edit by thunderleaf: Anyone who wants to post a term, do it if you want.

Well, Since nobody is interested in a scheduled discussion, and since this IS a computer faq forum, I will try something new. Every week(or until someone gives the correct definition, whichever comes first), I will post a computer term in the forum. If you know the answer and can give an approximate definition, then post it. If not, then wait for the next Term Of The Week, and the answer from Last week's Term will be posted with it. This week you get a freebie.

The first Term Of The Week is:

MRAM

Short for magnetoresistive RAM, or magnetic RAM, a non-volatile RAM memory technology that uses magnetic charges to store data instead of electric charges, such as those used in SRAM and DRAM technologies.

Unlike a technology such as DRAM, which requires a constant flow of electricity to maintain the integrity of the data, MRAM will retain data even when the power is turned off and only requires a small amount of electricity to store data bits. For example, in a PC enabled with MRAM, the computer would start up instantly instead of having to wait for the BIOS to locate and load the computer’s operating system software.

Technically, MRAM works by placing millions of magnetic “sandwiches” on a silicon substrate, with tiny parallel wires running in one direction on top of them and more perpendicular wires running below, creating a woven effect in the wiring. A single bit is represented at each point where the top and bottom wires cross. To write a bit onto the chip, a current passes through a wire on top of the sandwich and flips the polarity on one of the magnets. To read a bit from a chip, a current travels through the structure and measures the resistance of each magnet. Low resistance equals “0” and high resistance equals “1.” The sandwiches remain in their magnetic states until the data is rewritten or erased by the system.

MRAM, first developed by IBM in the 1970s, is expected to replace DRAM as the memory standard in electronics.

O.K. Now that you are warmed up, here's This weeks(actually, I'm giving you until Nov. 22 to solve this one because I want the terms to start on Sundays of every week) "Term Of The Week":

We'll start with a few easy ones...
Nov. 16-22
"Cold Boot" Question using the term: What is a "Cold Boot"?

Edited by thunderleaf, 06 October 2005 - 03:34 PM.

I reffered Member # 2116 to NUNE WORLD
Click Here to visit my website. VERY COOL!
--------------------

"Life is the most precious thing in the world. We must use the time given to us wisely because, someday, it will be over. Will you be able to look back at your life and say, 'I led a good life. I lived it to the fullest and held onto all the oportunities given to me. I have passed on the knowledge I've learned in my life to another human being so that they might live their life to the fullest.' You must grasp and hold onto the oportunities presented to you, otherwise life slips by, like water in a stream."
~~ JBOD ~~

#2 Aaron1339

Aaron1339

• Honored members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 12:21 AM

Cold boot... isn't that the same as a "Hard boot"? When you start the system up from a powered-down (shut off) state.
"This has been the most excrutiating, godawful day of my life. On the positive side it was long."

Master of:
Baldur's Gate series
Icewind Dale series
Neverwinter Nights

#3 thunderleaf

thunderleaf

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 03:57 PM

yea, its when you power up your puter from a powered down state...

#4 jbod

jbod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 06:39 PM

Aaron1339 was the first person to give the correct definition of this weeks term.
QUOTE(Definition as per Webopedia.com *)
Cold Boot:

The start-up of a computer from a powered-down, or off, state.
Also called a "Hard Boot".

* Answers will be posted like this so that you will know that this is the "Computer Dictionary" definition of all terms posted here

Now I will post a new term for people to guess. This is another easy one, so if you know a fair bit about computers, then please let others try to get this one. If, at the end of the current week, the term is unsolved, then I will post the answer and a new term for the following week(Sunday-Saturday). The new "Term Of The Week(TOTW)" is:

"Warm Boot"  Hint: This is what may be done when your computer "FREEZES" or "CRASHES"

--------------------

"Life is the most precious thing in the world. We must use the time given to us wisely because, someday, it will be over. Will you be able to look back at your life and say, 'I led a good life. I lived it to the fullest and held onto all the oportunities given to me. I have passed on the knowledge I've learned in my life to another human being so that they might live their life to the fullest.' You must grasp and hold onto the oportunities presented to you, otherwise life slips by, like water in a stream."
~~ JBOD ~~

#5 thunderleaf

thunderleaf

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 08:31 PM

Its when you start or reboot the computer from a powered up state.

I.e when Windows crashes and so on.

#6 thunderleaf

thunderleaf

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 10:25 PM

This is not a Double Post. The previous post has been deleted as per
Regulation IV

LOL! look what i found when searching for demos.

A warm boot is one that has been sitting in front of a heater vent or fire place. They're really nice to put your feet into on a cold winter's day.

Uh..

laugh.gif

Edited by jbod, 21 November 2003 - 10:33 AM.

#7 blue

blue

Gold Member

• Honored members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2418 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 11:55 PM

Basically restarting a computer that's already on...
Not really active here anymore.

#8 jbod

jbod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 10:37 AM

That's hillarious stuff thunderleaf. Read this one though... A Hard Boot--A steel-toed shoe kicking you in the bum.

BTW blue, I like the Homestar runner better than the bannanas. But I think you should have a link to Homestarrunner in your sig so that people can find it easy and see what it is about. Personally, I really enjoy that website. Quite hillarious stuff.

thunderleaf was the first person to correctly answer this weeks 2nd term.
QUOTE(Definition as per Webopedia.com)
Warm Boot:

Refers to restarting a computer that is already turned on via the operating system. Restarting it returns the computer to its initial state. A warm boot is sometimes necessary when a program encounters an error from which it cannot recover. On PCs, you can perform a warm boot by pressing the Control, Alt, and Delete keys simultaneously. On Macs, you can perform a warm boot by pressing the Restart button.

Also called a soft boot.

Now, because it is not yet Sunday, I will post another term. This weeks 3rd "TOTW" is:
"Clean Boot"  Joke:  A shiny black shoe/boot.

Sorry, no hints this time. Everyone is welcome to solve this one.

Edited by jbod, 21 November 2003 - 10:05 PM.

--------------------

~~ JBOD ~~

#9 blue

blue

Gold Member

• Honored members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2418 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 10:47 PM

Starting the computer and only loading the main part of the operating system.

#10 thunderleaf

thunderleaf

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE(blue @ Nov 21 2003, 09:47 PM)
Starting the computer and only loading the main part of the operating system.

DAMIT BLUE. You stole my idea.

as blue said, only loading the main part of the Operating system. when doing a clean boot it doesnt load services or drivers, that is loaded in a normal boot.

blue won.... i guess.

#11 sage

sage

Music forum moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 01:14 AM

Clean Boot: Cold boot without memory resident viruses smile.gif
God said, "Let Tesla be", and all was light. <br> visit: My Webpage

#12 jbod

jbod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 09:41 AM

Blue was the first person to correctly answer this week's 3rd term.
QUOTE(Definition as per Webopedia.com)
Clean Boot:

Starting (booting) a computer as minimalistically as possible. Typically when you start your computer, it loads many files and programs to customize your environment. A clean boot eliminates these optional features and loads only those files and programs that are absolutely required by the operating system.
A clean boot is a troubleshooting technique that allows you to get the computer up and running so that you can perform diagnostic tests to determine which elements of the normal boot process are causing problems.

You people are answering them too quickly. Please try to give others a chance. How's this? You cannot answer a TOTW if you were the first to answer one of the last four. So that means that Aaron1339, thunderleaf, and blue, cannot answer the next one.

This week's 4th and final "TOTW" is:
"macro"  No hints from now on.

--------------------

~~ JBOD ~~

#13 thunderleaf

thunderleaf

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 01:06 PM

Macro..... uhh.... i know what it is but i dont know how to explain it... its some kinda coding..... DOH!

#14 blue

blue

Gold Member

• Honored members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2418 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(thunderleaf @ Nov 22 2003, 03:41 AM)
Macro..... uhh.... i know what it is but i dont know how to explain it... its some kinda coding..... DOH!

Thunder! You can't answer!

#15 sage

sage

Music forum moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 06:44 PM

Macro : a single computer instruction (in some programing language or enviroment) that results in a series of instructions in machine language.
God said, "Let Tesla be", and all was light. <br> visit: My Webpage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users