6 replies to this topic

#1 Neiko

Neiko

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:50 AM

At first glance the game looks very generic to all the others, and probally is (Saying that since I have not played another). But I find it quite interesting.

The first thing I noticed was how you couldn't really customize the mechs alot, as in how Armored Core, you could replace the legs, head, arms, etc. But in Mech Warrior, you are limited down to the chasis, weapons, and armor. Oh, another thing, you can change the paint job! =p. Another thing I noticed, were the controls... They are... confusing.... to somone who has never used them before, when I played the tutoria, I was like "I'm never going to remember all this...", but, guess what, I did, and I guess I kinda "Mastered" it, however you say it. But just a warning to those never playing a Mech Warrior before.

Something I liked is how you could choose different types of clans that influence other parts of the missions. When you play the missions as a certain clan, later on in the game, you might get extra mechs for helping out somone who knows the clan, or is part of the clan. But that isn't all about the clans, each clan starts out differently, one get's Clan type weapons at the start (Weapons that deal more damage, use less heat, have more range, and weigh less), one gives out more money for each missions you finish, one gives you clan type mech's faster, (As mentioned, they are basically better mechs), and there was one more, but I can't really remember it.

There is more to it as well, once in game, you are a Mercenary basically, getting asked to do things, assault places, defend places, protect caravans, etc. and somtimes you will see the numbers under Davion and Steiner go up or down, that is for, who you completed the mission for, and if the opposing people were the others, then you will lose some for them. It's just basic numbers on how you know which like you more for what you do (more or less who you have done more jobs for). But later on, you have to make a choice, on who you are to be with, Davion, they are the ones that give you better mechs while you fight, while Steiner give you better weapons, it's all a matter of your tactics. But, the reason why you need to make a choice, is for the fact it's a civil war.

As it gets more in depth into the game, just how most games do, the game story unwravels itself, and it is a pretty good story line, and you basically can have 12 different game playing styles, since there are 3 (that I know of) endings, and 4 different clans you can choose from, do the math.

Also, the texturing and graphics are a little, iffy. But they are good considering when it was made. The mechs have really nice texturing though.

Here is a little screenie of my favorite mech 4.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Sounds: 8/10 - Well, they are still good for today's standards, plus the voice over is nice. Although, you never see people's mouth's move, since there are not too many cinematics.

Graphics: 8/10 - As I said before, if it was made today, I wouldsay around 4/10, but for it's time, it is very nice.

Gameplay: 10/10 - I find the mechs balanced out very nicley, as well as the game idea itself. I just plain out found it fun. There are only a 1 or 2 missions where it is near impossible without the skills required. (As in Makenshi skills)

Fun: - 9/10 - As I said earlier, I found it plain old fun.

Balance: 8/10 - Most of it is very balanced, just one or two missions, and one or two mechs.

Overall: 9/10 - My biggest issue was the controls, but after you play for so long, it's just like riding a bike, at first it's hard as you can get it, but then it's as easy as google. The missions are easy going though, so it's not that hard at first to catch on. But it makes life alot easier if you just do the tutorial first, then go into the game.

(Quoted from me at http://www.marks-servers.com in the reviews section. If this is considered advertising, feel free to remove)

#2 trigunkilla

trigunkilla

FOR PONY!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:07 AM

i love the mechwarrior/battletech series games and the books. but if you have read the books then you will notice that the game is not really depicting the clans accurately. for example the clans follow a one on ne stradegy when fighting but in the games iv noticed they just jump your a**. also im not always sure if im in the clans or inner sphere cause if i were in the clans they wouldnt hire me because i would be a "freebirth" mercinary but if it was in the inner sphere then were the hell did they get these clan weapons? i mean the clans dont leave there wreckage for others to salvage! lol but all of this is pointless and if you read the books you will get a little confused but if not then theres no problem and itll be awsome all the way.
oh and neiko i have the mercinaries one but it looks alot different when did this one come out?

#3 Damian Frost

Damian Frost

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:53 PM

off topic a little here, but the term "freebirth" is used to downgrade another by insinuating that someone was conceived of natural means having a mother and a father. Becasue clan "trueborn" warriors are genetically engineered by a clan's eugenics program they consider it to be a mortal insult. Yes the clans do follow zelbrigen, one on one honor duels. but they also have a set of rules for anyone that breaks zelbrigen causing an almost free for all. Quiaff. I used to play that pen and paper game all the time back in the day, also used to play the collectible miniature game, and still read some of the books.

#4 trigunkilla

trigunkilla

FOR PONY!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:44 AM

well aff. but i have never played the pen and paper game or any game that does not use microchips tongue.gif. i have heard though that there is a series for tv. i am hoping it is true though i am sure it is old. and i have not read nearly enough of the books to make me happy. mostly just the JADE PHEONIX. i like aiden. but the whole thing confuses me. it would be nice to have a mechwarrior game that is part RPG.that would be nice quiaff?

#5 Damian Frost

Damian Frost

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:01 PM

Aff, if they can expand the Mechwarrior franchise to cover Clan, Inner Sphere, Periphery, Pirate, Mercenary, and House worlds in a RPG type game, but it would have to be MMORPG to cover such a large spectrum. IT would be so awesome if they did that. That is one MMORPG that I would actually pay to play.

[off topic]well the Jade Phoenix trilogy is the perfect example of how the Clan military, social, and economic structures are organized. I like that one as well. Too bad Aiden never found out that Diana was his daughter in the end of those novels.[/off topic]

#6 trigunkilla

trigunkilla

FOR PONY!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:04 AM

same here. though quite frankly i think it would be littered with people saying "how did they make a book about a game?". but i would still pay to play it. I like the world in those books verymuch.

#7 -Black

-Black

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:11 PM

I remember when Mechwarrior 4 Mercs came out.. I bought it for $80 on release day.. and it didn't come with capture the flag sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users